Several medicinal plants available locally in Kerala are used for preparing the traditional post-partum medicinal bath in which the new mother has to take bath every day. A list of all the medicines used in this process is given below, with pictures. Please note that I am using Malayalam names for all the medicines, and English names wherever I can, since I’m not sure of English names for everything. Whatever has been given here is a result of Googling, so sadly I can’t vouch for their accuracy. Please cross check your leaves with the images given here before adding them to your water.
1. Kaappi ila (Coffee leaf)
2. Kattu Thippali (Phyla nodiflora)
Below is the fruit of Kattu Thippali, in case you just want to cross check whether what you have got is indeed the correct leaf.
3. Karingotta (Samadera indica GAERTN)
4. Kurumulaku kodi (Piper nigrum)
5. Maavila (Mangifera indica)
6. Pazhuppan Madal (Taken from coconut tree)
7. Pacha Manjal (Raw Turmeric)
8. Mayilellu (Sesamum indicum)
9. Paada Kizhangu (Cyclea peltata)
10. Paanal (Glycosmis mauritiana)
11. Peringalam (clerodendrum-viscosum)
12. Plaavila (Artocarpus heterophyllus)
13. Pullanthi (Calycopteris floribunda Lam)
14. Vaatha kodi (Clematis gouriana Roxb)