During pregnancy period, most women find a welcome change in their hair – it will become thicker and more lustrous. But if you are not careful, this may not last long after your delivery. I am going to share the recipe for a great homemade hair oil which will make your hair thicker and stronger with regular application. Please apply this hair oil daily till you see the desired results.
Also note that it is compulsory that you apply hair oil (if not this, any oil of your choice) before you apply medicinal oil or ‘kuzhampu’ on your body for the medicinal bath. This is an ayurvedic principle. According to ayurveda, applying oil on any part of the body has a cooling effect (which we will obviously notice). If you leave out head and apply oil on your body first, your body will become cooler than the head, which is a strict no-no. So you should always apply oil on your scalp first, thus letting you head cool down and only then proceed with oil application on your body.
- Coconut oil – 1 Litre
- Amla (Indian gooseberry, ‘Nellikka’ in Malayalam) – 50 gm
- Henna (‘Mylanchi’ in Malayalam) – 50 gm
- Small onion (‘cheriya ulli’ in Malayalam) – 50 gm
- Aloe vera (‘Kattar vazha’ in Malayalam – 50 gm
- Curry leaves (‘Curry Veppila’ in Malayalam) – 50 gm
- Hibiscus leaves and flower (‘Chembarathi’ in Malayalam) – 50 gm
- A thick bottomed vessel (‘Uruli’ in Malayalam)
- Grind all ingredients except coconut oil separately in a mixer jar without adding any water.
- Pour the coconut oil into a the thick bottomed vessel.
- It would be great if you can use home made virgin coconut oil. If not, you can use any good brand coconut oil.
- Thoroughly mix the ground ingredients to coconut oil.
- Put the vessel on stove top and switch on the flame.
- Keep stirring on low flame till all the ingredients turn into a sort of sticky powder sediment within the oil. Please note that it should not get burned, it should just become dark brown in color with the mentioned consistency.
- Switch off the flame and keep it to cool. It would be good to leave this overnight in the same vessel so that the goodness of all medicinal ingredients are imparted to the oil.
- Once cold, pour off the mixture to a dry bottle and keep it closed. It would be a smart idea to keep aside a small amount for your use in a small bottle, rather than opening and closing the whole batch frequently. It would help in keeping the oil in good condition for a long time.