Massaging helps tone the new mother’s body, and thus is an important part of post-partum / postnatal care. We use Dhanwantharam Kuzhampu for body massage. But for face, it is good if we use the massaging oil described in this article. Using it will ease the pain, make your skin fairer and render a glow to it.
This oil can be used continuously on your face for as long as you wish. Once you are done with the Kuzhampu body massage, use this oil all over your body too. The turmeric in this preparation has anti-inflammatory properties which helps in reducing the body pain and soothing your muscles. This oil also makes your skin fairer and younger looking for years. For best results, wash this oil off with green gram powder (‘Cheru payar podi’ in Malayalam) or gram flour (‘Kadala maavu’ in Malayalam) instead of soap.
- Carom Seeds (‘Ayamodakam’ in Malayalam) – 50 gm
- Raw wild turmeric (‘Kasthuri Manjal’ in Malayalam) – 100 gm
- Coconut oil – 1 Litre
- A thick bottomed vessel (‘Uruli’ in Malayalam)
- Grind raw wild turmeric and carom seeds together in a mixer jar without adding any water.
- Pour the coconut oil into a the thick bottomed vessel. It would be great if you can use home made virgin coconut oil If not, you can use any good brand coconut oil.
- Thoroughly mix the ground ingredients to coconut oil.
- Put the vessel on stove top and switch on the flame.
- Keep stirring on low flame till the turmeric is just cooked. Please note that it should not get burned, it should just become brown in color so that it imparts a golden glow to the oil.
- Switch off the flame and leave it to cool. It would be good to leave this overnight in the same vessel so that the goodness of all medicinal ingredients are imparted to the oil.
- Once cold, pour off the mixture to a dry bottle and keep it closed. It would be a good idea to keep aside a small amount for your use in a small bottle, rather than opening and closing the whole batch frequently. It would help in keeping the oil in good condition for a long time.